I will be the first to say as far as skin health goes, I’ve been blessed with pretty great genetics. On both my parents side, nobody has ever really struggled with the health or aesthetics of their skin.
That being said, from a young age I was OBSESSED with all things related to taking care of our body’s biggest organ. The moment I learned berries were antioxidants I was obsessed with making sure I consumed them daily. Drink half your body weight in water? Done.
But what I can now look back with hindsight and see, is that a lot of what we were told about skin care, and continue to be told about skincare isn’t the full truth.
(Ps. Not interested in the full story? No worries! Click Here to jump straight to the ritual goodness!)
Are berries antioxidants? Yes, absolutely. Does that mean we should be eating loads of fruit daily? The answer, some would argue, is no. Berries are also a natural source of sugar, and if you aren’t careful they can affect the sugar levels in your body, and play with your insulin.
Is it recommended to drink half your body weight in water? Of course! Our body is 60% water! But as a teenager who already struggled with eating, that number becomes a little obsessive, and can almost become an excuse to drink water excessively.
After a couple years of travel induced parasite/ intestinal infections, stress, and anxiety my body was outraged. At 25, this came out in the form of big, welt like bumps on my face. Before heading to a big engagement in the UK no less.
I emailed every aesthetician I knew to see if I could get an appointment with them, to no avail. I was told told to use apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, toothpaste, but nothing worked. Approaching my skin with harsh chemicals, was only making it worse.
Eventually this particular outbreak calmed down, and I thought the worst was over.
But from that point onward I continued to have angry patches of breakouts.
I hadn’t changed anything in my diet, I hadn’t changed the products I had been using. The only thing I could thing of was that something internal was going on to have had such an extreme change in the quality of my skin.
I did some *intense* googling, and found a naturopath in Toronto that specialized in women’s hormones, skin health, and gut issues. She was pretty quick to notice that other symptoms I hadn’t noticed (thinning hair being one of them), were signs of deficiencies. We did a blood test (which my doctor was also quick to call me about), and came up with a plan of action.
My system had been so destroyed by infections and stress, that it was no longer absorbing nutrients.
There is an old saying ‘you are what you eat’
I counter with ‘you are what you absorb’
I followed her protocol, things were slightly getting better, but then I was on the road again, this time to Guatemala. The FIRST thing we were warned about was the likelihood of parasites and intestinal infection, and yup, you guessed it, I was the only one to get one.
By the time I got home I was tired and frustrated. Why did I care so much about how my skin looked? Why was it bothering me so much?
I was so upset and annoyed, because I felt like my body was asking for help, and I couldn’t figure out what it wanted.
Now I know this doesn’t look that bad- but these shots were clipped from stories. I was actively avoiding taking pictures, and there is definitely makeup over these blemishes.
Finally I had had enough, which was around the same time I was REAALLLYY getting in to doterra, and researching their products beyond just essential oils. I have switched all my products over to doterra because of the CLARITY in where their products come from, how they are harvest, and the purity of what is in my bottle. I never worry about their being secret ingredients, and I can actually go online and find out where each oil is sourced.But honestly, what really started making the difference, were the supplements I take- if you want to glow on the outside, you have to start on the inside!
This is my current skincare routine, and it WORKS!
Doms’ Skin So Glow Ritual
A series of three suppliements; one for cellular health (skin/brain included!), one for gut health, and one as a multivitamin. If we want our skin to be healthy on the outside, we HAVE to start on the inside.
I’ve been taking this daily for years, and for me, I can tell the difference when I don’t take it. I’ve struggled with gut health since puberty, with the amount of infections/parasites I’ve had, it really helps support my system function. Again, if we want to glow on the outside, we have to start on the inside.
This is a very recent addition, and I’m SUPER excited about it. Most supplements available are marine collagen based, and as a vegan that doesn’t work for me. This complex is designed with;
- Grape seed extract – antioxidants
- Grape seed extract and Zinc Citrate – neutralize a broad range of free radicals
- Melon extract, with its antioxidant properties, enhances skin radiance
- Vitamin C, necessary for the growth and development of all body tissues and is essential for collagen production
- Also includes Celery Seed, Frankincense, Palmarosa, Turmeric,and Melissa
- Also helps with a healthy metabolic response in the body! As well as cellular, immune and nervous system function
- Grapefruit and peppermint oils, plus loads of other goodness, this feels so so nice on my skin. Scrubby but not aggressive, sometimes I use it on my body because it’s so lovely.
- ylang-ylang, coriander, palm arose, cypress oils, I love putting this on post wash/pre moisturise to rebalance my skin and have it damp for moisturizer!
- Francinsense, Hawaiian Sandalwood, Lavender Oil, Myrrh, Helichrysum and Rose oil
- Night time ritual
- Cocoa seed butter is a nutrient-rich emollient that helps keep skin hydrated
- Lactococcus Ferment Lysate helps to reinforce the skin’s natural barrier
- Laminaria digitata (Oarweed) extract comes from an algae rich in amino acids and polypeptides
- Lavender, Jasmine, Geranium, and Frankincense
- This was specifically designed for mature skin, but to be honest its my fave!
- Proprietary blend of Yarrow essential oil and cold-pressed Pomegranate seed oil
- I use ONE drop of this, it is strong! With the addition of taking it internally I need very little topically
- Promotes healthy, glowy skin, and reduces the appearance of blemishes
- Nighttime ritual
MY LOTION POTION;
- Roll Immortelle onto your hand until you have a thin layer
- Scoop a little bit of moisturizer into the Immortelle layer
- 1 drop of Yarrow/Pom
- Gently mix together, and then massage into your face (I scoop out and up around my eyes, into the scar on my forehead, and down my neck)
*** Since using this mix I have noticed how much more my scar has healed! It never bothered me, I never intended on healing it more, and DDAAYYMMM this potion mix has made a difference!
- UMM SO DELICIOUS. Plus the nourishing properties of coconut, sunflower, avocado, and passion fruit
- Jojoba, Sunflower, Avocado, Grape Seed and Argan Kernel oils increase hydration and help prevent normal signs of aging
- Coffee Seed Extract is a skin conditioning agent that helps increase the appearance of smooth skin, improves skin texture, and rejuvenates the skin
- Yarrow essential oil reduces the appearance of aging skin and promotes the look of young and healthy skin
- Spray Body Mist into your hand or onto your body
- Add a few pumps of Yarrow/Pom Serum
Literally watch your body glow
I know, I know. Who actually has time for all of this? I do. I make the time for it. I love the ritual of washing my face, massaging my skin, smelling AMAZING. I always make time for it, because it ACTUALLY works.
I’m SO grateful I’ve found something that works, because the feeling I get, looking in the mirror and seeing glowing skin back at me is such a beautiful way to start the day.
love, love, love
PS. Do you want your own person Skin So Glow ritual?! CLICK HERE to redeem your free 1-1 planning date so you can say hello to your best skin xo
(why buy products and hope they work, when you can buy products and KNOW they will work?!)